Friday, October 29, 2010

20 Lashes With a Wet Noodle!!

I have been terribly remiss in keeping everyone informed about my progress or regress and I apologize. I have a bad case of Neuopathy in my hands and feet so typing and writing is an interesting adventure, AND walking, holy moly! I'll give you the lowdown on that in a minute.
My blood counts have been roller-coastering because of the buildup of chemotherapy.  I had a trip to my daughter's in Austin planned to try out my "wings" and legs and mostly to get away from Dodge and check on my self confidence as far as flying, traveling, getting through security, yada, yada, yada!
I knew I would have to take it easy because of the low blood counts so I wore a mask to fly and got to Austin Wednesday afternoon. The rest of that day I did well, Thursday I did well, but Friday blood counts crashed and burned with a killer headache and vomiting to equal the chick on the Exorcist!. My daughter and Loren took me to Scott White ER where I was pumped full of fluids and meds to stabilize dehydration and everything else. Scary, but I made it through went back to their house and the next  three days were fine. Tiffany and Loren pampered me and made me feel special and soaking in their garden tub does wonders for my soul.
I flew back on Tuesday the 26th and landed in Little Rock at 11:00 AM. (Now this is where the adventures of walking with Neuropathy come in),  I have very little feeling in my feet so I can't judge the thickness of the floor or my steps very well  until this stuff wears off. While walking into the airport off of the plane several ladies stopped in front of me where the carpet met the marble floor. I tried to stop and go around them but my heel got caught in my roller bag and I went flying, (probably looked like a Daddy Long Legs doing a dying act!) It took three gentlemen to pick me up off the marble floor, none of us could get any traction! One man asked me if I had ever thought of trying this stunt sober? I replied, "does it work?", and he said "Oh Yeah!" A very nice witty gentleman! Needless to say I have some beautiful, large purple grape colored spots on my body now.
I had bloodwork done Wednesday morning and ended up in the hospital Wednesday afternoon to get 3 units of blood. Yep I was a few quarts low, no wonder I felt like I'd been rolled a few times by a steam-roller! I came home yesterday afternoon, slept the rest of the day and night and feel great today. Kind of fitting that I did the vampire blood thing right before Halloween, don't you think? I can still see my reflection in the mirror so I'm safe! Glad to get this out of the way now and build my strength up. I go back to LIttle Rock for my follow up with Dr. Stone on Monday along with a CT scan that morning. and then I am scheduled to fly up to Baltimore on the 6th of November with my first trip on line on the 8th. I have an easy three day trip and then home on the 10th with 6 days at home. I promise all of you lovely concerned folks that I'm not jumping the gun, that I am fine and will pace myself, of course my stubborness is a big part of my strength, go figure. So don't grab for that phone or keyboard to chastise me, I'm OK! Honest!  I think getting back to my life and routine will make a world of difference. Also the doctor finally prescribed something (Lyrica) for the Neuropathy, WooHoo! Helloooo feet, where have you been?!
I'll do better on touching base with all of you, there was just so much going on, I wasn't sure where to start, besides, I still owe you a video of a happy jig. God Bless you.

1 comment:

  1. Drinking and Falling? You are back to Normal. No Worry's. Very glad you are getting back on your feet. (No Pun Intended)

    Frosty

    ReplyDelete