Sunday, August 29, 2010

No More Port!
Tim and I returned to Little Rock on Thursday. We  had to be there at 5:00am so we were up at 2:00am and left the house by 3:00am. My surgery was the first one scheduled for the day which was a good thing because we were in and out quickly. Removing the peritoneal port was much easier than inserting it, Thank You!
I've done a lot of thinking over the past week, not much else to do when you're laying there bored out of your gourd! I made a tough decision with input from my husband, children, parents, friends, etc.to discontinue the clinical trial. This would eliminate the experimental drug, Avastin which is the drug messing with my blood pressure. There were several times in the last two weeks where my blood pressure was extremely high even while taking a blood pressure medicine. The only benefit to the drug that I could put on the plus side  was "Maybe" one more year of life. That maybe year doesn't do me any good if I have a stroke or am incapacitated to where I can't function or work. I would rather focus on a few very good years. SO, in other words I will finish the nasty chemo in October and then I can get on with life and enjoy it to be best of my humor and ability.
I have already talked to Dr. Stone and she was very supportive, WooHoo!
I will go for chemo again, (counts willing, right now they are low) on the 7th of September and continue (counts willing) every Tuesday for 6 weeks after that. No more overnights in Little Rock!  I feel good about my decision and I hope all of you do also, if not, a big slobbery raspberry to you!

1 comment: