Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Someone told me today that I was the only person who looked happy to be getting chemotherapy, did I always smile? Well, yeah! At least I try to smile, it supposedly takes less muscles than frowning. I'm all for less (sometimes).
Today was the first of the intra-peritoneal injections. They ran 2 liters of saline through the IV port along with various anti-nausea medicines and the everyday steroid, and then they ran 2 liters of fluid including the cisplatin straight into my abdomen. I now look like I am 6-7 months pregnant! It will only last for 2-3 days much better than a full nine months. When you have that much fluid sloshing around inside of you, at some point it needs to come out. During this clinical trial, I have to measure my urine output after the infusions. You should have seen this six-footer tap dancing down the hall with my IV pole and my plastic hat to measure the output. The last 20 feet to the restroom, I did with my legs crossed! Barely and I mean barely made it!  Got some applause from  other patients when I came out. The picture to the right is me watching the final 200 ml go through the tubing so that I could make my mad dash down the hall.
Tim was unable to go with me today he had something crop up at work that was unavoidable, so my Mom stepped in and drove me there and back. What a trooper, I think she is worn out for a couple of days. She said she wouldn't be driving anywhere for a little while. It is not easy to drive 2 hours, sit 4-5 hours in a not so comfortable chair and then jump in the car and drive 2 hours facing west into the sun to go home.
Right now I am home and feeling OK, other than my bloated stomach and occasional dribbles. What can I say, I've had three children in my lifetime and 4 liters of fluid today THERE will be dribbles! Heavy stuff will probably kick in tomorrow, hoping for better planning for the worst, but having been through this 2 other times I've become a pro at knowing my body's defenses and warning signs when blood counts drop and vomit is on the rise.
I'll let you know if I have a NORMAL couple of days. God Bless everyone!

1 comment: